Wednesday 30 June 2010

Going Over To The Dark Side.

Hmmm. I am extra grouchy this afternoon. Does everyone get tired of trying do you think? I know lots of people keep going on their weight-loss quest, that's for sure. But do they still get down days when they wonder if all the effort is worthwhile? Am I just a moody cow who wants things to be easy? Today I have been picking - everything I have eaten has been OK - there is nothing in the house which could cause me to go off plan unless I decided to eat a whole loaf of bread and I certainly haven't had huge portions of anything.

Meals...or foods I have reached for when feeling I need to eat.

Breakfast: One small pro-biotic yoghurty drink thingy..raspberry flavour. One small banana. One digestive biscuit. Just couldn't be bothered do the bowl, cereal, milk thing. Two mugs of tea, each with a splash of semi-skimmed milk.

Snack 1. A clementine. Large glass of water.

Snack 2. Two oatcakes with low fat cream cheese, spread thinly. Another mug of tea.

Lunch:  A piece of cold cooked lamb's liver with a little congealed onion gravy coating it, left over from last night. (Slurp. Just call me Mrs H Lecter. No fava beans and  I went without the 'nice Chianti.') This was straight from the fridge, finger food, no plate. God, that sounds disgusting! It was tasty though. Waste not, want not. A couple of cherry tomatoes.

More water. A muesli bar..a nutty one with hazelnuts and almonds. (95 cals)

That's it so far. Now, should I be eating fresh air wrapped in lettuce leaves? Tonight we are having chicken breasts with vegetables, a tomato, pepper and onion sauce and brown rice. That's pretty balanced, isn't it? I could add more salad leaves and fruit, but I don't think I am over-doing it food wise. Admittedly, I haven't done much today in terms of movement - washing and cleaning up the kitchen..washed the floor...so bending and stretching and danced for about ten minutes to some jiggy stuff on my PC. I intend to do half an hour on the bike later but don't think I'll be walking today. I have a pile of ironing to do when I finish this. I was out yesterday with daughter and we did a fair bit of brisk walking over two hours. I walked ten miles on Monday! OK, so I could do more cardio...but I am the woman who hates gyms and formal exercise, remember? I know I have to work up a sweat. I am eating less and exercising/moving a LOT more than I used to, but it's obviously not working particularly well. I want to see results.

Is my metabolism shot to pieces or am I making excuses? I do have the odd indulgence but I plan for it. (That's my 'You will stick to a healthy eating regime' idea. No binges.) The last indulgence I allowed myself was.....ummmm...thinking....more snacky food on Sunday (watching the football match ) than I intended to have but the snacks were vegetable couscous and hummus..and bread sticks. We had a salad for dinner that evening.

Thing is, my plan is flexible. That's the way I like it and that's the way I think I might succeed. However, weight loss has been SO slow. I know it took me a while to embrace the notion that I COULD do this, and I still believe I can but I am wondering if I'll run out of steam. I mean, I might reach my target in thirty or so years. Who wants to be the slimmest, trimmest 80 year old at the pensioners' tea dance?

So, I either eat a lot less and exercise a LOT more (see me pull a face) or perhaps take myself off to the Weight Watcher's group which is held early on Thursday mornings in the church hall only a ten minute walk from my house. I found two "No registration fee and one free meeting" vouchers this morning, so I am seriously contemplating it, although I hate 'organised' anything where you have to show up at a certain place at a certain time every bloody week. And counting points as well??? Aaaargh. Now, if there is a really inspirational leader who delivers an incredibly motivating piece post weigh-in, then I may join. (I am not a joiner...this goes against my prnciples. Social occasions with friends? Plans to do things together? Night school classes which interest me? No problems. Right now, weight-loss interests me so it will be in my interests to look in. It had better be a riveting meeting though ;-) I think my boredom threshold is quite low.) The leader will have to be good...captivating and motivational. If the place is chock-full of women (or men come to that) wanting to talk about the calories/points in a half teaspoon of dried oregano or an inch-long piece of banana I'm off. You won't see my heels for the dust.

Who knows. I might even find it worth-while ;-)

I'll tell you how I get on tomorrow. I really won't be a disruptive influence...I promise...but it's true, the older you get the less likely you are to stand for time-wasting activities / nonsense. Many people swear by the Weight-Watchers plan. I am not sure I have the patience required for it, but we'll see. I truly hope tomorrows' meeting converts me. This lard layer and me are parting company - that's all I know.

I shall enter that meeting in the church hall with an open mind - honestly.

Joshua Liebman said :


"Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them."
 
:)

5 comments:

  1. Grump:
    You lost me at "A piece of cold cooked lamb's liver with a little congealed onion gravy coating it". Rather, I nearly lost it! There must be something else to snack on?

    Look inside...you know what you need to do. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah..ya wimp Jo! ;-) Lamb's liver cooked with onions and bacon is food of the Gods! A delicacy and full or iron. :) It's even nicer with mashed potatoes, but I had it with peas last night when I cooked it.

    I am not sure how to move on, that's why I shall look for inspiration at WW tomorrow. I don't hold out much hope that I'll want to lose weight the WW's way, but it's an avenue to explore. Who knows? It's a long, long time since I joined any slimming club and I might feel more positive when I take part. I feel a bit defeated/disheartened so rather than plod on alone, I'll see if WW is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been able to join groups either. Best of luck in your WW adventures. I figure if we just keep doing things, we'll hit on a successful strategy eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am having a hard time with the Lamb's liver as a snack. Each to his own though. I am also thinking about joining Weight Watchers. Let me know how you like your meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, liver... and with onion gravy! One of my favourite things. I'm a savoury hound and the very thought is quite making me drool.

    As to the WW trial - my dear old Dad always used to say "try anything once, twice if you live and like it". I think you are very wise to look at your options - nothing is set in stone and you may be pleasantly surprised. BTW, if you find out the calories in a half tsp of oregano I'll be gagging to know ;-)

    Seriously, if it doesn't suit, then at least you know that 'your' way is a good plan too. Don't worry if it is not necessarily a plan for super-quick weight loss - remember that tortoise and hare?

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete